Look who’s finally doing folds. 😭
Apple has officially entered the foldable-phone conversation with the iPhone Duo, a phone that folds open like a book. Closed, it has a 5.4-inch screen. Open it, and you get a 7.6-inch display, basically giving you a phone that wants to cosplay as a tablet. It starts at $1,999 ≈ R32,063 in the US, with the most expensive version reaching $3,999 ≈ R64,096. Preorders beginning in October, with sales starting October 23.
Anyways...
And I’m sitting here thinking: Apple… is this really what we have come to?
Because Samsung has been making foldable phones for years. Samsung didn’t just wake up yesterday and discover that a phone can fold. The Galaxy Z Fold line has already been doing the whole open me and suddenly I’m a mini-tablet thing. Apple has now entered the same room, wearing an expensive suit, and basically said, “Look what we invented.” 😭
Okay, technically Apple has designed its own hardware, hinge, software experience and everything else that comes with it. Fine. But you cannot tell me the concept itself feels groundbreaking anymore. It feels like Apple arrived fashionably late to a party that Samsung has already been cleaning up for years.
And this is what actually bothers me.
WHERE IS THE CREATIVITY?
I genuinely feel like we are entering an era where some of the biggest companies in the world have access to billions of dollars, thousands of engineers, designers, writers and creative people, and yet sometimes the final product has me sitting there like… That’s it? 😭🤷🏿
Apple is one example. Disney is another. Tyler Perry? Chile. Let me not even start with "Why Did I Get Married Again? Part Two" 🤦🏿. Because sometimes you watch something and think, surely somebody in that room had another idea.
And before somebody says, “But Lilo, Apple’s foldable is different!”
Yes, I know.
I’m not saying Apple literally copied every single component from Samsung. I’m talking about the bigger picture. We have become so accustomed to companies watching what somebody else is doing, waiting for the technology to become popular, improving it slightly, putting their branding on it and calling it innovation.
At some point, we need people who are willing to imagine something that does not already exist.
Because what happens when the people currently running these industries eventually hand everything over to us?
I’m looking at the generations coming after the millennials and wondering: What exactly are we inheriting?
A Disney that keeps recycling its old magic.
A television industry that keeps recycling old ideas.
A music industry that keeps recycling sounds.
A technology industry where everyone is watching everyone else.
And then we’re expected to be the generation that creates the future.
We're DOOMED! 😭
And honestly, I’m grateful I’m not an iPhone girl.
I am an Android girl and I am proud. And that's on PERIOD. 🤏🏿
Because if I had grown up feeling like I absolutely needed the newest iPhone every time Apple announced one, my parents would have developed grey hair before I even finished high school. 😭
What fascinates me even more is watching people who, from what I personally see around me, clearly do not have massive disposable incomes somehow find a way to get the newest iPhone. Maybe they save. Maybe they finance it. Maybe somebody buys it for them. Maybe they simply prioritise it over everything else.
I don't know.
But suddenly somebody who has been complaining about money is standing there with an iPhone that costs more than some people’s monthly salaries.
And I’m looking at them like:
“Brother. Is that the iPhone 17 or iPhone X disguised as the iPhone 17?”
Because at this point, I genuinely don't even know what half these phones look like. 😭
And that is another conversation: how much of our consumer culture is actually about needing something, and how much is about wanting to prove that we have it?
Because Apple is going to keep making money. Obviously.
They know exactly what they are doing.
They know there will be people who see the newest model and immediately start calculating how they can get it. They know there will be people who don't need a foldable phone but suddenly feel like their current phone is embarrassing because a newer one exists.
And honestly? Good for Apple.
The company is winning.
But as consumers, maybe we should occasionally ask ourselves whether we are winning too.
Because this isn't really about Apple anymore.
It's about creativity.
It's about originality.
It's about whether we are becoming a generation that creates, or a generation that waits for somebody else to create first and then improves the packaging.
And that genuinely scares me.
Because if the people before us are already running out of ideas, and we're becoming comfortable with recycling everything from technology to movies to music to television...
At what point do we stop copying the past and actually create the future?
Because respectfully, I refuse to believe humanity has reached its creative limit.
There has to be more.
There HAS to be.
Otherwise, what are we doing here?
And please don't ask me to buy an iPhone Duo.
I fold my clothes. That's enough folding for me. 😭
© 2026 The Dreamer’s Pause. All rights reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment